Music, Verbosity, and Anything Else

Friday, March 16, 2007

Okay, AP...let's play!

1) If you weren't a musician, what kind of career would you have?
Growing up, I always wanted to be Dwight Evans, the Red Sox right fielder. Along with the hereditary religious zeal I watch Sox games with I always liked moving fast on my feet. I wanted to do something that kept me busy, active and perhaps in a little bit of danger(until I cracked my skull open at eleven). So, right fielder, starting pitcher, fireman, field naturalist/anthropologist/paleoanthropologist/paleontologist/what Bill Pullman did in "The Serpent and the Rainbow." As long as I'm hyper.

2) Who do you miss?
Karen Rome. In college my three best friends were she, Aaron Kaplan and Jordan Feinstein. The latter two will turn up again in my life but I fucked up with Karen. The first day I met her I kissed her. For the remainder of the next three years we became completely platonic. When I left school she began to make overtures to something more and I accepted. We had sex once and it was never the same after that. I greatly miss our friendship.

3) Who influenced your greatest musical influence?
I knew I wouldn't get off that easily.

There is something about the exquisite and perfect tenderness of Chopin that is consummate for me. It seems as if he augmented his prodigious talent with happy bucolic Polish life.

From 1823 to 1826, Fryderyk attended the Warsaw Lyceum where his father was one of the professors. He spent his summer holidays in estates belonging to the parents of his school friends in various parts of the country. For example, he twice visited Szafarnia in the Kujawy region where he revealed a particular interest in folk music and country traditions. The young composer listened to and noted down the texts of folk songs, took part in peasant weddings and harvest festivities, danced, and played a folk instrument resembling a double bass with the village musicians; all of which he described in his letters. Chopin became well acquainted with the folk music of the Polish plains in its authentic form, with its distinct tonality, richness of rhythms and dance vigour. When composing his first mazurkas in 1825, as well as the later ones, he resorted to this source of inspiration which he kept in mind until the very end of his life.

Like Mozart, he was identified as a special talent at a very young age. Both were heroes to me as a child and that may be why even then I felt betrayed by the adults who did not notice me in the same way. Like a Force-sensitive Jedi-to-be child who is disregarded by the Council, so seemed my childhood. Yet, since then I've gotten somewhere on my own, and now I greatly desire ephemeral life influences like these.

4) Who is your favorite fictional character?
Gods, where to start? Jorge of Burgos, Sherlock Holmes, Gregory House, Darth Vader, Holden Caulfield, Professor Peabody and his boy Sherman, Eustacia Vye(she's out there somewhere...and in reference to question #1, maybe I should have been a reddleman...), Captain John Yossarian, Colonel Kurtz, Jane Eyre, Roland of Gilead, 1900, Marvin the Paranoid Android. An incomplete list.

My favorite characters? Real people.

5) Is there anything new under the sun?
Yea, me. You. Cellular mitosis. The '07 baseball season.

Leave me a comment saying, "Interview me."
I respond by asking you five personal questions so I can get to know you better. If I already know you well, expect the questions may be a little more intimate!
You WILL update your journal/bloggy thing/whatever with the answers to the questions.
You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the post.
When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

9 Comments:

Blogger Bimbo said...

Hit me.

2:36 PM  
Blogger TheAdequateDer said...

Two shovelings, four Jamaican beef patties and one modem crash later...

(I must confess, it gave me time to concoct lots of potential questions...)

1) What is your favorite baseball memory?

2) Has your faith ever been truly shaken?

3) In The Last Temptation of Christ the angel appearing to Jesus at the crucifixion(later revealed to be Pazuzu himself)says "There is but one woman...with many faces." How does that make you feel?

4) Boxers or briefs?

5)If you could pick one song as your song, what would it be?

5:01 PM  
Blogger antiprincess said...

those were fucking awesome questions.

give it to me, baby. questionate me.

8:13 PM  
Blogger antiprincess said...

I will not answer any questions about snow. just so you know.

8:14 PM  
Blogger TheAdequateDer said...

AP- I know you too well; this might be tricky.

1) How does Hillary Clinton strike you?

2)In the pantheon of feminist literati is there one person whom you feel is solidly in your corner or on your wavelength?

3)If you could play an instrument, what would it be?

4)What's the best restaurant you've eaten in? Or your favorite, if it widely differs...

5)Do you like snow?
Oh, yeah...next question...
5) Why are teeth bad?
Oops! I'm gonna hear it...moving on...
5) Wanna see my spaceship?
I'm totally done for...

In all seriousness...

5)Can friends be lovers? Can lovers be friends?

9:16 PM  
Blogger Bimbo said...

It is written. I did this on the boutique, too, the personal personal, off the artses record. Great questions, Der. ~Thanks

10:45 PM  
Blogger antiprincess said...

your questions kick my questions' collective ass. I am impressed!

I am thinking of answers.

4:30 PM  
Blogger antiprincess said...

Chopin became well acquainted with the folk music of the Polish plains in its authentic form, with its distinct tonality, richness of rhythms and dance vigour.

so do you also find yourself influenced by Polish folk music?

10:05 AM  
Blogger TheAdequateDer said...

I suppose, by proxy, yes. I never felt a primal connection to the song that goes(forgive the spelling)"Stola, Stola, yay zhee-a-zhee-a-la", if that's what you mean.

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home